Director Of Placemaking
The Flint Downtown Development Authority is looking for a Director of Placemaking to lead the What’s Up Downtown Project. This position is responsible for planning, developing, and implementing placemaking activities for Downtown Flint that range in scope and target audience. The focus of these activities will be on activating downtown parks and public spaces. The goal is for regular appropriately scaled activities and events to occur throughout the year.
The ideal candidate will perform well in fast paced environments, have a desire to work creatively, and a willingness to transform Downtown Flint into an inclusive and engaged space through continuous activities year-round for all.
Duties and Responsibilities
Coordinate and oversee event preparation, logistics, and marketing/promotional activities for downtown public spaces.
Establish and maintain a network of volunteers to work in key areas on behalf of development firms, downtown property owners and tenants, and community and business groups to coordinate events and activities.
Pursue and maintain partnership opportunities with local organizations/vendors
Coordinate the creation and distribution of calendar outlining downtown activities.
Identify new potential funding or resource opportunities.
Gather feedback and provide post-event evaluations to determine special event program effectiveness and goal achievement, including financial assessment of each event.
Compile data on traffic, usage, and other quality of life metrics.
This position reports to and consults directly with the coordinating committee.
- Must be entrepreneurial, energetic, creative, well organized
- Must embrace the What’s Up Downtown vision and have an interest in downtown revitalization, business development, and community pride
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university highly preferred
- Two (2) years of experience dealing with events coordination and planning
- Valid driver’s license and personal transportation
- Experience leading all aspects of community event planning, including communication and coordination with on-site personnel, staff, vendors, partners, volunteers, and participants; management of program schedule and budget; and quantitative and qualitative analysis of event success
- Creative thinker interested in program development and enhancement, including ability to contribute to creation of events collateral that provides a sense of place and more lively downtown experience
- Strong customer service skills
- Ability to communicate with a variety of people, verbally and in writing
- Ability to work under sometimes stressful and/or difficult situations
- Ability to work on multiple projects at one time
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
- Strong leadership skills and confidence in decision making including clear delegation of work to others as appropriate
- Performs related work as assigned
Salary & Benefits
This is a full-time, salaried position with benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject “Director of Placemaking.” Position is open until filled.